Tuesday’s vote was basically a vote as to whether or not the Senate would take up discussion on the Department of Defense’s budget- the Defense Authorization Bill.
The plan was to attach amendments to that bill, including the DREAM Act.
It was a close shave, but the Senate decided not to take up discussion of the bill. That means that we didn’t even get a chance to debate the merits of the DREAM Act- it wasn’t our vote.
Don’t let anybody tell you this was a defeat. It wasn’t.
If you watched the floor speeches, you know that we learned a lot about different senators. We took notes. We heard them talk about procedure, about up and down votes, and a lot of them talked about wanting to discuss the merits of the DREAM Act, and only the DREAM Act, without a bundled package of reforms.
Fair enough. They want to talk about the DREAM Act, and just the DREAM Act? We’ll take it. Over 70% of the country supports the DREAM Act. Corporations like Microsoft and Pfizer support the DREAM Act, universities from Harvard to the University of California support the DREAM Act, communities of faith support the DREAM Act, shoot, even Ricky Martin supports the DREAM Act.
Let’s triple our efforts. More phone calls. More actions. We have set the goal of a stand-alone DREAM Act in Congress within the next two weeks.
The most important player? None other than Senator Harry Reid. Call him and tell him what we want. We want the DREAM Act.
Dial: 1-888-254-5087 and ask to speak with Senator Reid from Nevada:
“Hi I am calling to leave a message for Senator Reid. Please stop playing politics with the DREAM Act. I am calling to ask that he immediately bring it up for a vote as a stand-alone bill. Thank you.”
Back to the trenches, folks. Let’s go.
Related articles by Zemanta
- A winnable fight: The DREAM Act (dailykos.com)
- We Will Be Watching: Victory for the DREAM Act (crooksandliars.com)
- DREAM Act Supporters Should Not Surrender to Nasty Politics (immigration.change.org)
- Cloture Fails on Defense Authorization Bill as Republican Obstructionism of DADT, DREAM Act Holds (news.firedoglake.com)
- Crucial Vote on DREAM Act Expected This Afternoon (seminal.firedoglake.com)
- Take action to pass the DREAM Act (dailykos.com)